Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I am my mother's daughter

Last night I woke up at 1:30 and didn't get back to sleep until 3:00. I probably should have gone into the living room to read for awhile, but instead I tossed and turned for over an hour, worrying about work. I do this every once in awhile, usually when I have a big deadline coming up and I don't feel prepared, but sometimes it happens with dumb, piddly little things that don't really matter. Once I couldn't sleep because I was worrying about not having returned an e-mail that I really didn't need to respond to for several more days. By day I'm fine, and don't think of myself as an overly anxious person, but at night it just takes over.

Thankfully this doesn't happen very often, and it probably helps that I have a job that's very low-stress 75% of the time. Still, when it does I hate that I can't seem to shut off my brain, or at least convince it to forget whatever I'm worrying about until morning when I can actually do something to resolve the problem.

My mom does this too. Years ago when my parents were remodeling their kitchen, she told me that she couldn't sleep some nights because she was worrying about what kind of countertops to order. I'm like her in a lot of ways, so it probably shouldn't surprise me that I have her anxiety.

Oh well, at guess I can always send her my latte bill.

No comments: