Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Some thoughts on where we go from here

Well, here we are. Scar tissue is gone. Spotting problem is solved. All of the pieces in our infertility puzzle seem to be coming together really quickly. To be honest, I'm still pinching myself occasionally. I still have trouble believing that I no longer have unexplained infertility. Still have trouble processing the fact that we're essentially starting this cycle with a blank slate. The last 17 cycles don't really count anymore because we know that my eggs weren't even reaching the fallopian tubes so there wasn't even a snowball's chance in hell of getting pregnant.

I'd be lying if I said that this hasn't thrown me for a bit of a loop.

Obviously, we're not going to go to the RE next month. Sure, we could spend money on IUIs, but why? Why go through more painful (and pricey) medical procedures when they're not needed? It doesn't make any sense.

For now we're going to keep trying and assume that our fertility problems have been solved. I'm not ready to declare myself fertile, but I'm not sure about whether or not I can (or should) identify myself as infertile anymore. It's an issue I'm going to have to do a lot of thinking about over the next few weeks and months. Where do I go from here emotionally? How do I reconcile the hell of the last year and a half with the sudden (and honestly unexpected) news that my infertility is probably cured? I really don't know.

No comments: