Thursday, November 30, 2006

Worst Case Scenario

Codi is in critical condition. J took her to the vet this morning and it turned out that she had a pleural effusion (I know I'm not spelling that right, but I don't care) which means that there was a buildup of fluid in her chest. They drained about a cup and then sent her home with J. Well, she went downhill really quickly, and J called me while I was driving home to let me know that he was taking her back to the vet. The vet did an x-ray and discovered that she now has pulmonary edema, or fluid buildup inside her lungs. Basically, she's probably going into heart failure.

The vet is keeping her overnight (he's actually taking her home with him so he can monitor her heart) and will call us if things get worse. He's giving her a 50% chance of surviving this, and J and I are just beside ourselves. There's a chance that the edema could be a result of how quickly they drained the original fluid--apparently it happens a lot in humans--but the vet didn't want us to get our hopes up.

Anyway, if you can send any healthy thoughts or prayers Codi's way, we'd really appreciate it.

4 comments:

Jennefer said...

How scary! Sending healthy thoughts I hope Codi recovers and feels better soon!

squarepeg said...

Oh what an ordeal! I'm so sorry about your deal Codi. Sending lots and lots of positive thoughts your way...

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I'm so sorry. Still sending positive thoughts your way.

Jules said...

My thoughts & prayers are with you, J & Codi.