Friday, December 19, 2008

Too Many Thoughts in My Head

Juan didn't get the fellowship slot he'd been virtually guaranteed just a month ago by People In The Know. As a result we've spent the last 48 hours scrambling to put together a list of bases we wouldn't hate for the next year or two until he can re-apply. Staying in El Paso is a possibility, but the job he would need to take here would be 90% paperwork to 10% actual medicine. Not only would he likely be miserable if he took it, but he'd be deployable. Neither of us wants that. Most of the other positions at the top of our list (hospitals in the DC area, San Antonio, and Washington State) would be similar.

Then there's Korea.

He would be working in a hospital and practicing actual medicine, he wouldn't get deployed, Luke and I would be able to go with him. To Korea.

I don't know what I want at this point. Well, I take that back, I want our original "guaranteed" plan back. That's not going to happen, though, which leaves us with a number of less-than-ideal options. Korea is at both the top and bottom of that list. On the one hand, it would be an amazing opportunity for all of us to live overseas. On the other, we'd be gone for two years in a country so far away that coming home even once might not be financially possible. Plus I'd almost certainly have to give up teaching until we got back to the States.

So, I don't know what we're going to do. If we decide about Korea (and we need to decide soon--like before Christmas) then we'll have a set plan in place as soon as the decision is made. If not, we won't know where we'll be going until February at the earliest.

1 comment:

M said...

Wow. What tough options, especially with Luke being so little. *fingers crossed*