Sunday, May 14, 2006

Make your own fucking lemonade

My dad was hit by a car yesterday. He's been on a bicycle trip around the perimeter of the United States (this year's leg was supposed to be from the Florida Keys to Annapolis, MD) and got as far as Wimington, NC. Yesterday afternoon a 16-year-old girl hit him as she was turning into a shopping mall, and then took off when he went down.

The good news is that aside from a broken hip and a broken arm, he's okay. He was wearing a helmet, thank God, and there were over 20 witnesses to the accident including his cycling buddy. They've caught the girl--she was turned in by a kid who got arrested for underage drinking and gave the cops her address in exchange for some leniency--and are pressing charges. This could have been so.much.worse, and as angry as I am right now about a number of things, I have to keep that in mind.

He's going to try to walk tomorrow, and he and my mom are still planning to come to Juan's graduation next weekend. All I want to do right now is to give him a hug and reassure myself that he's really going to be okay.

Memo to God (if He exists): All these lemons you've been throwing my way for the last six months? You can have them back. I'm done making lemonade.

No comments: