Friday, February 10, 2006

Happy Birthday Little Sister!

22 years ago today, I got a little sister.

For the first 21 years of her life we didn't get along well at all. Even once we were both out of the house and living apart we didn't seem to have much in common. She liked fashion and styling hair, I liked books and arty movies. When I graudated from college I moved to D.C. while she stayed in Utah, and after that we only really talked when I was in town visiting our parents.

Then a year ago our dad got sick, and everything changed. I went home to stay with my parents when he had surgery, and somewhere around that time Julia and I started to bond as friends as well as sisters. It happened gradually, but these days we talk on the phone a few times a month, e-mail, and I'm really looking forward to hanging out with her when I visit my parents next month.

So, happy birthday Julia--I'm so glad that I have you for a sister.

Circa 1986

No comments: