Wednesday, February 01, 2006

New England, here I come!

Friday morning I take off for a fabulous weekend with my friend Kathleen in Boston and Maine. After the big conference I just finished and some other work aggravations this week, I am so.very.ready for a vacation. We're going to see the city, visit Louisa May Alcott's home, see some gorgeous lighthouses in Maine, and just have an all-around good time. Best of all, we'll get to see three other friends on Sunday before I leave.

The best part of going on vacation to visit friends is that you get to see a new city through the eyes of someone who lives there. I'm not a very adventurous traveler, partly because I'm cheap when it comes to vacations, and partly because I get so overwhelmed when trying to plan a trip to a place I don't know that I just give up and settle for someplace familiar. Going to visit friends who live in places I want to see is the perfect solution, because I get to see the best places in my destination city, plus spend time with great people.

I also love playing tour gide myself in DC. In the almost three years that I've lived here, we've hosted my parents, my sister and brother-in-law, my aunt, my friends Michele and Tim, our nephew, Kathleen, and my husband's entire family is coming out for a week in May. I love going to the museums over and over again, I love introducing people to my favorite restaurants, and I love getting to go home at the end of the day feeling like I saw something new about the city I sometimes take for granted.

So I'm packing my bags, picking some good books for the plane ride, and getting ready to have a seriously good time.

1 comment:

Me said...

Yahoo yahoo yahoo!!

We are going to have fun. :)