Friday, June 30, 2006

Just call us Mr. and Mrs. Social Butterfly

What a week! J's team at the hospital has been having one social function after another this week, and we're kind of pooped! Wednesday night we went to a baseball game, last night it was a barbeque at his program supervisor's house, and tonight we're hosting a few friends from his medical school for a pre-start of internship dinner. Saturday he's officially an Intern, and I may not see him again for the next three years.

It's nice to be getting out so much, though. One of my biggest problems when I moved to DC was that I didn't meet many friends until we'd been there for over a year. That first year was tough, especially since I'd come from my hometown where I have a close-knit group of friends I've known since high school. Right now I'm spending a lot of time getting to know the wives of J's colleagues, and so far they all seem like really nice, down-to-earth women. I'm almost embarassed to say this, but I'm especially loving the group because only one of the intern's wives has kids. All the others are around my age and childless. After that first social function where I was the only woman there without a toddler or baby in tow (I later discovered that all the wives I met there were married to second or third year residents) I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to really hang out with or relate to any of the other wives in the program. Happily, that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'm liking this place more and more every day.

No comments: