Friday, October 20, 2006

I am such a party animal

So, it's Friday night, I just finished my first week at a new job (I won't go into details, but things are going very well, and my department head has told me that she thinks I'm doing great), and what am I doing? Sitting on the couch doing homework and feeling annoyed that I didn't have time to run to the craft store before it closed tonight. I need more yarn for a scarf I'm knitting.

Yep, that's one exciting life I'm living.

I like routines, I like being an "adult", and I like having responsibilities, but sometimes I wonder if I'm not missing out on some key elements of being a young twentysomething. Other women my age are going to parties, staying out until all hours on weekends, and generally enjoying their youth. I like my life, but I've always been a conservative as far as experiences go. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into almost every mildly risky/risque thing I've done, and even then there have been times when I've really just wanted to stay home with a good book.

What does this mean in the grand scheme of things? Search me. Will I have some kind of terrible midlife crisis in another 20 years and decide to make up for all of those years I spent doing "adult" things when I could have been partying? Will I just always regret not being more adventurous? Does any of it matter at all? I'm not sure, but it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately. When I'm middle-aged, what will I look back on and regret not doing?

3 comments:

Me said...

I have the same conversation with myself sometimes. This is exactly how I feel a lot of the time: there have been times when I've really just wanted to stay home with a good book.

Ah well. When you come visit me next year, we'll do lots of fun things, few of which will involve risky/risque things. And I'm sure we'll both be happy with that. ;p

C said...

LOL. Yes we will, Leen!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, you need to LIVE right now. I am turning 35 on Saturday and I am feeling a crisis coming on. Not sure what will happen.