Tuesday, October 31, 2006

It's not a baby, but I'll take it

At this point, I always compare everything I do to having a baby. We bought a house because we couldn't have a baby. We got Jasper because I needed something small and cute to distract me from not having a baby. I changed careers and got a new job because I might as well do something worth doing while I'm busy not having a baby. The list goes on and on. These things make me happy, but they don't fill that hole in my heart caused by infertility.

All of this is a roundabout way of tying this post into Infertility Awareness Week by talking about how every single decision, every single purchase, and every single life choice we make at this point is informed by infertility. When you're infertile, it never leaves your mind. It's always there, lurking, waiting for something, ANYTHING to bring it to the forefront. It's there when you're trying to make moderate to large life decisions. Do we buy a house with three bedrooms on the assumption that eventually we will use one as a nursery? Survey says: Yes. Do we buy Disney movies in the belief that one day a small child will demand to watch The Little Mermaid for the millionth time? Survey says: Yes. Do we buy furniture that we'd be fine with a child potentially ruining with spilled juice or milk? Survey says: No.

Three guesses what J and I did over the weekend. Sometimes you just have to do something for yourself and damn the consequences.



Apologies for the tags still on the couch and J's armchair. We're a little paranoid about taking them off.



And finally, my new comfy chair in all its glory:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's one seriously comfy chair.

And I love your philosophy.

Bea

squarepeg said...

Gorgeous! And for what it's worth, upon hearing of our infertile status, my MIL told us we should "buy some furniture." Her reasoning was that it took them a long time to have their second child, and when they stopped focusing on it, bought a living room set, and began worrying about paying it off - she got pregnant.

I think this line of reasoning is beyond absurd, but there it is :) If you now get pregnant though, you can be SURE I'll be the first to walk throught the door at Ethan Allen.

Stacey said...

Love the furniture!!!

Somewhat Ordinary said...

I love the furniture! We did the same thing with a new dog, new bedroom furniture, a boat. I think it is just a natural thing to do! I hope you really enjoy it because it is beautiful!