Thursday, October 19, 2006

Insomnia, Part 984,596

It's 2:00 in the morning and I can't sleep. Why can't I sleep? Because I'm thinking about school. I'm thinking about things I should have said or done yesterday instead of the things I actually said or did. Not that I screwed up in any major way, but at 2:00 in the morning it's hard for me not to rehash the previous day and point out all my mistakes to myself ad nauseum.

It's always hard to start a new job. I think it takes at least 3 months in any new position before you really get settled in and learn the ropes procedures-wise. That means that by the start of the new semester, I should be feeling a whole lot more comfortable than I do now. Still, in my experience those first three months can really suck sometimes. So far I'm loving my new position (and really, I've only been teaching for three days, though it feels like MUCH longer) but I think I need to remind myself that I'm new, the transition has been really disruptive for the kids, and it's okay if I make some minor mistakes while I'm still getting oriented. And, more importantly, it's okay to GO BACK TO SLEEP when I start thinking about those mistakes.

No comments: